ss_blog_claim=daa1c0004807d45777e6932fb7cfb75c

Thursday, September 11, 2008

7 tips for using eBay's email Marketing effectively - Dos and Don'ts

I've been putting more time, thought and effort into planning my email campaigns. I started my research with checking out the competition (and my favorite sellers, friends, family & past students too). I've now got a pretty long list of "Favorite Sellers" that I'm subscribed to. Some send great stuff and make me wish I were that good, others.... well, you know.
I've compiled a list of tips here to help you tweak your eBay emails too:

1. You simply MUST put either your user id or your store name (or both) into the subject line. If you don't go in an manually do this, your emails go out like this:
If your email is going to someone who gets their email on their phone or who gets alot of emails a day, they may never open this up. The subject line is "eBay seller Email: Check out my Newly Listed Items". Whos newly listed items? Why should I care? Let them know so they will open it up!

2. Brand your emails. Put your logo on them, make them look like your listings as much as you can. See mine:
If you've shopped with me before, you've seen my logo and right away, you know who this email is from. This is super easy to do, eBay gives you the option of putting your store header in your emails... you just gotta click the box! (Also notice that I've got my store name and the brand name of one of my biggest sellers in the title?)

3. If you are advertising a $0.99 auction sale or a special something or other, please make sure that those items are the ones that show up in the email. It is frustrating to get an email from a seller who goes on and on about these great tops that just arrived and it sounds like something I'm interested in but when I scroll down, the only things featured are shoes. Nothing wrong with shoes, but why are you telling me about tops when the only thing I can click are shoes? Use the preview button to be sure witch items will show up first.

4. Don't include your feedback banner if you've recently gotten a really nasty feedback or don't have a good DSR percentage. If yours are wonderful, go ahead, include it.

5. If you are like me and too lazy (or too busy) to send out stuff as often as you should, make sure that at the very least you have your system set up to automatically send out "Newest Items" bi-weekly.

6. Go back in and check your settings every so often because your business may have taken a turn (I went from selling costumes to ticket stubs but still had a message about costumes months later....oops) or eBay may have added a feature.

7. Put a link to sign up for your newsletter or to save you as a favorite seller (or both) in every listing.

8. (Bonus tip) Spellcheck, grammar check and don't use ALL CAPS.






No comments: