ss_blog_claim=daa1c0004807d45777e6932fb7cfb75c

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year! Time to reflect then look ahead

Happy New Year to all!
Every New Year I make resolutions and I usually keep them. I make realistic goals and I give myself the whole year to complete them. You know how so many people vow to quit smoking but think that they have broken their resolution and give up by the 5th because they have started again? Well, they are looking at it all wrong. As long as they have truely quit by the END of the year than their resolution is complete. Thankfully, I am not a smoker so that resolution will not be on my list.
Before I write my resolutions, I look back on the resolutions that I wrote the year before. Last year I had two business resolutions that I did not meet. I resolved to reach 1000 feedback by mid year and it took me until the end of November to make my star turn red. I'm not too concerned about this one because in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter that much.
The other goal I had for one of my stores was to sell $50,000. I sold $49,643! Wow that was close. I have over $400 in sales right now that are "awaiting payment" so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned that I barely missed this goal.
So overall 2007 was pretty good for me.
For 2008:
The important thing about writing your goals it that they are measurable. Like for instance vowing to "increase sales" isn't measurable. In order to figure out whether your goal was met or not, you need to be able to prove it. Like putting a number or a percentage in there. "Increase annual sales by 20%" or "Sell $xxxxx by years end".
The next factor that should be in your goals is a time table. Most resolutions are for the entire year but a more effective set of goals would be ones that are spread out throughout the year to keep you on track. Like if you have resolved to "lose 10 pounds" altering the goal, or breaking it down into more than one goal will keep you more focused. Like maybe "lose 1 pound per month" this way you will be more likely to actually stick with it all year long versus going on a crash diet at the beginning or end of the year and then gaining it all back.
The same works for your business. If you expect to hit a certain sales mark, it is better to break that down by quarter, month or even by week rather than trying to have a blow out sale at years end.
The other two things that your goals should be is realistic and permanent. If your goals are lofty make sure that you include plans on how you are going to accomplish everything.
Put those goals in writing. Post them somewhere. Put them on the wall, post them on the internet, wherever, anywhere that you will be able to go back and check your progress throughout the year.

No comments: