ss_blog_claim=daa1c0004807d45777e6932fb7cfb75c

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The anonymity of buying on the internet . . when is discretion necessary?

As an internet retailer I spend quite a bit of time surfing the net. I have been researching a particular brand of hosiery lately and being that it is an intimate product, I've been surfing through lingerie shop after lingerie shop. And, as I just received my Frederick's of Hollywood catalog so I got to thinking about how wonderful the internet is for those seeking anonymity in particular purchases.

And, as a retailer, how does this effect me?

Most lingerie sellers, will include a bit of text saying that items will be shipped discreetly. When should one make this leap? I'm holding a catalog in my hand that has a picture of a beautiful woman in a teddy. I did not order this catalog, it just showed up here in full color, not wrapped, covered or hidden in any way. Of course, you don't see nipples or hair or anything REALLY obvious, but she is still in a teddy! Personally, I don't mind. I am glad to receive these catalogs and don't have a problem with it whatsoever. But, what if I did? What if I DID have a problem with seeing these images of women in lingerie? The catalog's ship to address reads "or current resident". At what point does the need for discretion come in?

I sell to many cross dressers, so would I need to be discreet then too? My webstore is not a lingerie shop but we DO sell sexy costumes and hosiery, should I ship these items without a label?

or, is the need for discretion in the hands of the buyer?

No comments: