ss_blog_claim=daa1c0004807d45777e6932fb7cfb75c

Sunday, November 11, 2007

ebay's Power Up Quarterly report

I got my Power Up Quarterly report from ebay today, well, actually it was yesterday but since I devote Saturdays to College Football, I didn't read it until today.

I might be mistaken, but I remembered the Power up as having personal reports on it in the past. Maybe I'm mixing up two different things, but if I'm not, I'm a little disappointed that they didn't continue that service. I really enjoyed the breakdown ebay sent me before. I know I can get the same (and more) information in the store sales reports section of myebay but there is just something different about having it there on paper. I've tried before to the the silly reports to print from the computer and all the graphs come up blank. (If anyone reading this knows how to do it, please contact me or leave the instructions in the comment box)

I'm also curious about this, do ebayers who are primarily buyers get a different one? or are they encouraged to start selling too?

Right now I am featured in Entrepreneur's ebay start up guide in the Holiday sales planning section. The article I interviewed for comes out with pretty much the same information that is here in the Power Up. (Of course, this one is Free) Ebay is very smart to do this sort of marketing. It is such a positive spin and seems so hopeful. I love ebay and I am very hopeful, but at the same time I know that there are tons of people out there that work very hard and end up taking a loss at ebay. It is depressing to read their posts on the discussion boards. From ebay's perspective it is very profitable for sellers to do well. However, it is also profitable for them when folks don't do well. If they create a huge frenzy making everyone think that selling on ebay will make you rich in just a couple hours a day....they make money, and more than likely you won't.
Like I told the interviewer at Entrepreneur, last Christmas I sold exactly the same numbers as I did in the summer and the fall prior. Why is that? he asked. The only think I can think of is that ebay did such a great job promoting sellers and bringing in new sellers, that the market got somewhat flooded. Again, I am no expert, just my experience and opinion. My biggest week of the year this year was in early September and the second biggest week was late January. Doesn't make much sense considering that I sell clothing and costumes. Oh well.....that is why I find ebay so intriguing I guess.

No comments: